What’s On - Term Two
Term Two is just around the corner and we have many exciting learning activities to look forward to in the weeks that lie ahead.
In English this term, the students will continue with their spelling, grammar and the Café Reading Program. During literacy activities, the emphasis will be placed on comprehension and identifying main ideas in a text. In writing, aspects to be covered will include narratives (fairy tales), reports and poetry.
In Mathematics, the students will be learning about addition and subtraction. They will also gain an insight into fractions, length, area, 2D and 3D shapes and time. Students will work on developing a thorough understanding of each topic and the importance of relating mathematics to everyday life. Hands-on activities play an important part in our daily program, as do problem solving strategies and mathematical games.
Our Integrated Unit this term is entitled ‘The World Around Us’. The key understandings are:
- Asia is a diverse continent that is a neighbour to Australia.
- There are similarities and differences between climates of the worlds.
- Vegetation is significant to animals and people and needs to be protected.
- Human activity and natural processes have changed the Earth’s surface.
- Different living things have different life cycles and depend on each other and the environment to survive.This unit will involve us looking at countries around the world, comparing them to Australia, and looking at the impact both humans and nature has on the world. We will spend a day at looking at the environment the animals need to live successfully and the impact that occurs when this is changed.At the end of the unit the children will present their learning in a Year 4 expo to other students and the wider Gardenvale Community.Dates to Note This Term (all dates are subject to change)Term 2 commences – 16th AprilAnzac Day- Wednesday 25th AprilCurriculum day - 30th AprilSchool Cross Country– 27th April“Big Blue Bush Bash Dance”- Whole school- May 2ndBotanic Gardens Excursion – 7th MayDistrict Cross Country – 8th MayParent Teacher Interviews begin week May 21stQueen’s Birthday Holiday - 11th JuneTeam Building Day – 19th JuneYear 4 End of Unit Expo – 25th JuneOpera Australia Invisit – 26th JuneTerm 2 concludes - 29th June 2.30 dismissal